Marijuana Grow Houses
Palm Beach County: Boca Raton, West Palm Beach and Jupiter Marijuana Cultivation Attorney
South Florida 561-367-8777 – Key West, Miami, Fort Lauderdale
Central Florida 352-666-6666 – Orlando, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Ocala
The cultivation of cannabis or marijuana is defined as the growing or harvesting of the flowering plant or its buds for personal or medicinal use. Marijuana can be grown either indoors or outdoors and while some states allow for individuals to grow marijuana plants, in the state of Florida marijuana cultivation or grow houses has not yet been legalized. A conviction for operating a grow house can result in serious penalties as marijuana is still classified as an illegal Schedule I substance in Florida.
A marijuana grow house often consists of complex irrigation systems, lighting systems and electrical wiring. A grow house can be any structure or place used to cultivate marijuana, such as a house, greenhouse, trailer or shed. If police or any law enforcement officer suspects that a building or structure is being used as a grow house, understand that they can obtain a search warrant for the property and seize any evidence just based on the smallest observations, like the smell of marijuana, certain types of landscaping equipment and even the presence of large quantities of fertilizer.
An individual charged with operating a marijuana grow house can face severe penalties including prison time and significant fines. With so much at stake, it is crucial to consult with a Florida Drug Crimes Defense Attorney at Whittel & Melton. We are equipped to handle grow house and marijuana cultivation cases throughout Florida in the State and Federal system. From our Boca Raton office in Palm Beach County we handle South Florida marijuana grow house cases in Key West, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Stuart, Glades County and Hendry County. For a free initial consultation, contact us today at 561-367-8777.
Under Florida law, there are three types of penalties for operating a grow house:
- Landlord: Any landlord that knows about a grow house and allows a person to rent or lease the space will be charged with a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in state prison.
- Resident: Any person that lives inside a grow house, including the owners, renters or visitors, and has knowledge about the grow house or takes care of the operation will face second-degree felony charges punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
- When Children Are Present: Should a child be present inside a grow house, even if the child does not actually reside there, a landlord or any resident that knew about the child’s presence or should have known about the child, will be charged with a first-degree felony carrying consequences of up to 30 years behind bars.
In order to prove that a structure or building is being used as a grow house, police must show that there are 25 or more marijuana plants present. If the grow house contains 300 or more plants, the charges can be increased to trafficking marijuana, which is a much more serious offense carrying mandatory minimum sentences.
If you have been arrested on marijuana cultivation charges or for operating a grow house in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Jupiter or the surrounding areas, contact a Florida Drug Crimes Defense Lawyer at Whittel & Melton today. We can begin building you a solid defense against the marijuana charges against you immediately. To schedule your free initial consultation and learn more about how we can protect your rights, call us today at 561-367-8777.
- 5 Miami Residents Busted in Seminole County Grow House A grow house was busted in Seminole County Tuesday and resulted in the arrests of five suspects from Miami. The Seminole County Sheriff's Office
- $700,000 Worth of Marijuana Seized at Grow House A domestic disturbance led police to discover an alleged marijuana grow operation in the house next door, according to Hillsborough County deputies.
- 73 Marijuana Plants allegedly Found Growing in Fort White Home 3 Arrested Columbia County detectives served a search warrant on a home in Columbia County on Thursday and allegedly found 73 marijuana plants growing and made
- Polk County Authorities Bust Million-Dollar Pot Operation The Polk County Sheriff's Office arrested nine people and seized almost 100 pounds of marijuana in a large-scale marijuana operation, according to
- Polk County Criminal Defense Attorney :: Two Busted for Operating Marijuana Grow House in Polk County Polk County detectives allegedly discovered 15 pounds of bagged marijuana in a grow house operation inside a barn in Frostproof last month. Detectives