Although often considered to be one of the more minor drug crimes in Florida, drug possession can still result in a felony charge, with a minimum sentence of one year in state prison. In fact, a person can be accused not only of drug possession but of possession of known substances for the purpose of manufacturing drugs.
Have you been arrested for drug possession? If so, criminal defense lawyer Robert G. Whittel may be able to help. You shouldn't take a chance with your future and your freedom by working with any run of the mill attorney. By working with Robert Whittel, an experienced and aggressive trial attorney, you have the chance to receive the best outcome possible for your unique case. Boca Raton drug possession defense lawyer Robert Whittel offers a free case evaluation to see how we may be able to help you.
The lawyers at Whittel & Melton handle drug possession cases throughout Florida in the State and Federal system. From our Boca Raton office in Palm Beach County we handle South Florida drug possession cases. Specifically, courthouses in Key West, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Stuart, Glades County and Hendry County are within driving distance from the Boca Raton office. We strive to give our clients the most ethically aggressive legal representation possible.Penalties for Drug Possession in Florida
In Florida, there are several types of drug possession charges and penalties a person may face. These include:
- Felony drug possession (possession of cocaine or other controlled substance) - state prison sentence of up to 5 years, fine of up to $5000.
- Possession of a chemical known and for the purpose of manufacturing a controlled substance - 2nd degree felony - state prison sentence of up to 15 years.
- Possession of under 20 grams of marijuana - misdemeanor - up to 12 months in county jail.
- Possession of over 10 grams of a controlled substance (such as cocaine, MDMA or heroin) - 1st degree felony - state prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Possession of over 20 grams of marijuana - state prison sentence of up to 5 years; fine of up to $5000.
Arrested for drug possession in Boca Raton, Jupiter or West Palm Beach, Florida? Contact the Law Offices of Whittel & Melton, LLC today!
- 105 New Florida Laws Effective Sunday Some changes are coming our way in Florida. More than 100 bills that Gov. Rick Scott signed into law from the 2018 legislative session will take kick
- Anonymous Complaint Results in 2 Arrested for Crystal Meth in St. Augustine An anonymous call to the St. Augustine police Saturday morning led to the arrest of two people on drug possession. Police claim they responded to a
- Undercover Operation in Jacksonville Leads to Florida Man's Arrest for Drug Possession and Pimping A 27-year-old Florida man was arrested Thursday on a pimping charge during an undercover Jacksonville Sheriff's Office investigation. The man is
- Uber Passenger Allegedly Has Driver Take Him to Buy Drugs in Vero Beach A Vero Beach Uber driver claims he picked up a passenger at a bar Thursday night, and shortly after he asked him to stop at a 7-Eleven that was along
- Undercover Agents Raid Jacksonville Strip Club, 3 Arrested Three women were arrested Thursday night, two on drug charges and one on a prostitution charge, after an undercover operation at a well-known strip